The top 10 wines under 200 SEK and the top 10 wines over 200 SEK and the best wine 2014
(29-11-2014 by Nenad Jelisic)
This is the second time that NJ consulting & import selects the top 10 wines under 200 SEK, the top 10 wines over 200 SEK and the best wine 2014.
In 2014, I tasted a few thousand wines, which have been available on the market. From these, I selected the absolute best wines. The most important criterion for the selection was of course quality but also the wine’s availability.
The best wine 2014
La Rival, 2010, red dry blend wine, Lussac-Saint Émilion, Bordeaux, France, 4,5 NJP.
Top 10 wines of 2014 under 200 SEK
Alpamanta Estate, Cabernet Sauvignon, 2010, red dry blend wine, Mendoza, Argentina, 3,5 NJP,
J.H. Goncalves, Sercial 5 Years, NV, sweet madeira, Madeira, Portugal, 3,5 NJP,
Cono Sur, Bicicleta, Pinot Grigio, 2013, white dry wine, Valle Central, Chile, 3,0 NJP,
4. Real Tesoro, Sherry Medium Dry, NV, Jerez, Spain, 3,0 NJP,
5. Torres, Gran Viña Sol, Chardonnay, 2013, white dry wine, Penedès, Spain, 3,0 NJP,
6. Amedeo, 2012, white dry blend wine, Custoza Superiore, Italy, 3,0 NJP,
7. Amarone Classico, Ca' Montini, 2011, red dry blend wine, Amarone della Valpolicella Classico, Italy, 3,0 NJP,
8. Château Tour Blanche, Cuvée Excellence, 2006, red dry blend wine, Médoc, France, 3,0 NJP,
9. Château Tempérance, 2004, red dry blend wine, Bordeuax, France, 3,0 NJP and
10. Conde de Valdemar, Gran Reserva, 2005, red dry blend wine, Rioja, Spain, 3,0 NJP.
That I chose Alpamanta Estate Cabernet Sauvignon 2010 as the best wine of 2013 under 200 SEK can be explained by what I wrote about it: If you like tannin-rich, tasty, fragrant and moderately fruity Cabernet Sauvignon wines with a little Malbec (8%), you may not under any circumstances miss to try this wine. What the taste buds feel when the first centilitres of this wine come in the mouth is the taste of a real cacao rich dark chocolate, microseconds after, they feel powerful tannins and then, a few microseconds later, they feel a taste of a high quality cherry liqueur, like Maraschino from Croatia. The tannins never let go of this wine. If you extend little when you taste/drink the wine, you will sense flavours of blueberry, black currant and vanilla. The powerful and tannin rich flavours of Alpamanta Estate Cabernet Sauvignon 2010 suite very well to very flavourful meat stews of moose meat, wild boar meat, reindeer meat, or a mixture of these. Be generous with chanterelles in the pots and under no circumstances season pots with hot spices. The before described wild meat pieces can be replaced by the beef or lamb meat pieces. Alpamanta Estate Cabernet Sauvignon 2010 will reach the top in about 3 years, but why wait so long, especially now when it's so cold, dark and boring outside. It should be drunk between 18 and 19°C.
Top 10 wines of 2014 over 200 SEK
La Rival, 2010, red dry blend wine, Lussac-Saint Émilion, Bordeaux, France, 4,5 NJP,
2. Paleo Rosso, 2010, red dry wine, Tuscany, Italy, 4,5 NJP,
3. Monteverro, 2010, red dry blend wine, Tuscany, Italy, 4,0 NJP,
4. Charles Heidsieck, Réserve, NV, white dry sparkling blend wine, Champagne, France, 4,0 NJP,
5. Torres, Mas La Plana, 2009, red dry wine, Penedès, Spain, 4,0 NJP,
6. Finca Sophenia, Synthesis, The Blend, 2010, red dry blend wine, Mendoza, Argentina, 4,0 NJP,
7. Grattamacco, Bolgheri, Rosso, Superiore, 2009, red dry blend wine, Tuscany, Italy, 4,0 NJP,
8. Dedicato a Walter, Poggio al Tesoro, 2009, red dry wine, Tuscany, Italy, 4,0 NJP,
9. Barbaresco Starderi, La Spinetta, 2006, red dry wine, Barbaresco, Italy, 4,0 NJP and
10. Bussola, TB, Amarone, 2008, red dry blend wine, Amarone della Val. Classico, Italy, 4,0 NJP.
That I chose La Rival 2010 as the best wine of 2014 over 200 SEK can be explained by the wine itself. The best wine at the French wine tasting day 2014 and the only one that got more than 3,5 NJP, the best wine in all categories 2014 and the only one that got 4,5 NJP 2014, no wine got 5.0 NJP. Do I need to tell more about this brilliant wine? La Rival 2010 is a blend that is made up of 90% Merlot and 10% Cabernet Franc. Yield is extremely low 19 ha/hl and grapes come from over 50 year old vines. It is produced less than 10,000 bottles per year. La Rival 2010 has a great aroma and flavour richness, a very long and dry (tannic) aftertaste, a good fruitiness and a good aging potential, about 7 years. In the taste, and in some cases in the fragrance, one finds ripe (almost sweet) dark cherry, plum, vanilla, truffle, blackberries, black currants, liquorice, a little smokiness and some mineral notes. The wine's big tannins are more than well balanced by the wine's fruitiness. This high-quality wine should be drunk with fine cuisine such as grilled beef fillet with red wine sauce and buttery mashed potatoes with truffles or rack of lamb with rosemary gravy and buttery mashed potatoes with truffles. But before you start to enjoy this fabulous wine with food you must smell, taste and drink the first glass of it without something. Serve at 17-18°C. Start by serving it at 15°C and then enjoy when it starts to grow into unforgettable pleasure in the glass.